FIRE may be more difficult for some, but it is doable if you’re willing to put in the time and leverage your strengths. If you’re still hesitant about starting, Carl Jensen is an example that neither age nor family obligations are an excuse. He’s a recovering engineer who was already married (to Mindy from BiggerPockets!) with 2 kids when he first learned about FI.
Carl shares how he was able to reach his net worth goal in 5 years—which he has quadrupled since then. He then talks about his fix-and-flips and his passive income streams (“spouse FI” anyone?). Finally, he explains why dumpsters(!) are a sign of progress.
- Carl discovered FI through Mr. Money Mustache after a bad day at work
- In 2017, he quit his job; but he could do so because he had savings, he was financially secure, and his wife supported his decision
- Surround yourself with people who share your values
- On the live-in flip strategy and the 2-out-of-5 year rule
- Carl’s other sources of passive income
- On the compound effect, self-directed 401(k)s, and syndication deals
- How the pandemic affected his life and his latest live-in flip
- Instead of making excuses for why you can’t, figure out how you can
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson