Travis Watts was in love with the concept of passive income and knew there were great opportunities in real estate so, when the market crashed, he just went for it! Starting with a househack, he tried a variety of different strategies. But in 2016, he decided to transition to real estate syndication, and he has been investing and earning passively ever since.
In this episode, Travis shares his easy—but not simple—formula for the success that he enjoys today. He also breaks down some of the different deals he did, the challenges that he had to face, and the action steps that he took.
- Travis credits his frugality and interest in personal finance to his parents who had a scarcity mindset out of necessity
- He only did 2 years of college before landing a job with an oil company where he made over $100k
- Earn as much money as you can earn using your highest and best potential, live on as little as possible for a period of time, invest the difference in real estate, and avoid bad debt
- On Travis’ first property—a 2 bedroom, 1 bath condo—which he househacked
- What he learned from doing fix and flips and short-term rentals
- How to pick a syndication
- The 8% Rule
- How to Hack Your Housing and Live for Free
- Travis’ BiggerPockets profile
- Travis’ Instagram
- Travis’ LinkedIn
- Ashcroft Capital